A really amazing garlic bread. I was very surprised at how much flavor this had. I came up with this recipe myself using ingredients that I had lying around at the time. This is why it’s important it is to learn techniques and flavor interactions. I was able get this right on my first try without using a recipe because I had learned the fundamentals of cooking.
- Butter, ghee, or olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic
- Black pepper
- Pecorino Romano or parmesan
- Sliced bread
- Lightly pre-toast the slices of bread.
- In a non-stick pan sauté onion in your cooking fat of choice.
- When the onion is mostly done add the garlic and continue sautéing.
- Do not cook the garlic too long. It will lose its favor and go bitter.
- When the garlic is done, remove from heat and add thyme and black pepper.
- Do not cook the thyme to much. Its flavors are volatile.
- Drizzle the sauce on to sliced bread. Spread out the bits of onion and garlic.
- Cover bread with layer of cheese.
- Put bread in cast iron pan or a baking sheet.
- Broil on high until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- If you have a blowtorch that might work even better than a broiler.